“In bicycles we trust as the most efficient and ecological mode of transport and easy way of exploring our cities, countryside and nature without side effects.”
Daniel Mourek, vice-president of the European Cyclist and international Greenway coordinator, Prague
Greenways are trails or natural corridors used in accordance with their environmental function and potential for sport, tourism and recreation. They contribute to natural and cultural heritage conservation, improve the traffic situation, provide opportunities for recreation and tourism and provide a stimulus for adopting a healthier lifestyle and the sustainable use of local resources. www.greenways.cz
Sustainable transport and cycle tourism
At these times when people worldwide are struggling to preserve unique places they live in we consider support for sustainable transport and tourism an important issue. Sustainable tourism development is based on respecting environment and balanced social and economic development of communities. Our approach and contribution is by developing Greenways and long distance cycle routes such as EuroVelo in the Czech Republic and in collaboration with our neighbors.
How do we support sustainable transport and tourism?
- Promotion of campaigns for greater use of bicycles in every day life especially in urban settlements (By Bike to Work, Shopping by Bike and Cargo Bikes)
- Consultancy and trainings of local heritage interpretation
- Coordination of certifications such as Cyclists Welcome in order to improve the duality of service for cycle tourists along
Greenways and long distance routes
- Organization of seminars, workshops, conferences and public events on this topic (Week of Cycle tourism in May/June)
- Bicycle and people monitoring on greenways in cities and in natural areas with automatic counters (eco-counter)
- Grant making for Greenways projects
- Organization of wine festivals and development of wine tourism (certification of wine businesses)
Membership in international organizations
We are proud members of the European Cyclist´s Federation and European Greenways Association, both grass-root umbrealla organizations for cycling and Greenways. Our colleague Daniel Mourek holds the post of vice-president in both organizations representing not only the Czech Republic but also the EPA. In the USA we work in partnership with NGO Friends of Czech Greenways based in New York. It was founded by Lubomir and Tiree Chmelar, who pioneered the Greenways movement in the Czech Republic in early 90s along the Prague-Vienna Greenways.
Nadace České spořitelny (Česká spořitelna foundation) has been for more than 10 years a generous supporter and general sponsor of the Greenways program in the Czech Republic. Thank you!